Candlewood Knolls Community Guidelines
Emergency Phone Numbers
Medical Emergency 911
Fire Emergency 911
Police Emergency 911
Police Routine Calls (203) 312-5701
Police Department (203) 754-2411
Connecticut State Police (800) 376-1554
Candlewood Knolls Security (914) 656-9820 (Contact through Rich Stark) Candlewood Knolls Office (203) 746-4807
Candlewood Knolls Maintenance (203) 746-2048
Candlewood Lake Authority (203) 354-6928
Connecticut Department Of Environmental Protection (860) 434-8638 (Boat noise or reckless boating/jet ski complaints)
Dog Warden/Canine Control (203) 354-2138 (Unleashed dogs)
- Emergency Vehicle Access: For everyone’s safety, roads must be kept accessible for emergency vehicles. Whenever possible, cars should not be parked in the street. Please use your driveway or the community parking areas. (See Street Parking) If you must park on the street please park on the west side of the road. Trailers, with or without boats, as well as any unregistered vehicles should not be parked in the street. Trailers or unregistered vehicles left on the street for more than four (4) days will be towed at the owner’s expense with no liability to Candlewood Knolls.
- Street Parking: Any vehicle left on the roadways during a “Winter Storm Watch,” “Winter Storm Warning” or “Winter Weather Advisory” will be towed at the owners’ expense to New Fairfield Auto (Sunoco) [104 Route 39, 746-2422]. Designated parking areas during the winter months are the spaces at the Clubhouse, the lot on Meadoway adjacent to the ball field and the Middle Beach parking lot.
- Boat Trailers: Every effort should be made to store boat trailers for the summer season at the Candlewood Knolls boat trailer storage site off Camp Arden Road. (See Marine Rules and Regulations – page 10) If you store your boat during the winter in Candlewood Knolls, please consider using a gray protective cover (rather than a bright blue cover) as a courtesy to the year-round residents.
- Noise: Avoid excessive noise. Play radios, stereos and televisions softly, with consideration and respect for your neighbors.
- Powered Equipment: No person shall operate any powered gardening/lawn equipment or powered construction equipment before 8:00 AM or after 8:00 PM during the weekdays, and before 9:00 AM or after 8:00 PM on weekends. Please, no lawn mowing before 9:00 AM on weekends. Please be considerate of your neighbors.
- Residence Construction: External additions/alterations to properties within Candlewood Knolls require a building permit from the town of New Fairfield. During the construction, all use of powered equipment should follow the hours of operation specified in #5 above. All equipment, trailers, materials, dumpsters, and port-a-potties must be stored on the owner’s property, NOT on the street. Should there be a short term need to do so, the owner will obtain written approval from the Board, for a specified timeframe, with extensions granted at the Board’s discretion. All such construction related equipment (etc.) should be removed once construction is complete, usually prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy. At no time should anything be stored in, parked in, or block the use of a turn-around on any of our dead-end streets. Parking of the worker’s personal vehicles should not block access for residents. During construction, dumpsters should be emptied quickly and removed as soon as possible. Daily consideration should be given to the impact of the construction activity and debris on the surrounding community area such as roads, and they should be cleaned up regularly
- Towels, Bathing Suits and Toys: Please try to conceal beach towels and bathing suits when drying them so that they are not visible from the road. Residents are requested to make every effort to remove children’s toys, bicycles, etc. from roadside view when not in use.
- Lawn/Garden Maintenance: Please maintain your shrubs and bushes, not only out of consideration for your neighbors, but for the enhancement of your own property. Drainage and its effects should be considered when doing major landscaping. Please remove all weeds that grow along the road area in front of your home.
- Unleashed Animals: Unleashed animals are not permitted. Please maintain your animal on a leash and collect your animal’s waste matter.
- Dogs: Dogs are not permitted to swim or be bathed at the beaches or clubhouse.
- Cigarette Butts: If smoking on community property, please place cigarette butts in refuse containers or take them home. Please do not leave them as litter on the beach, on lawns or on the asphalt pavement after stepping on them.
- Septic Systems: In order to comply with the regulations of the Town of New Fairfield, septic systems should be cleaned every 2 to 3 years.
- Renter’s Information: Homeowners who lease their residences are asked to furnish the names and telephone number of their renters to the Knolls office. Please see Rental Guidelines below for current details.
- Day Guests: The Knolls Community property, including but not limited to, beaches, tennis court, ball field, children’s playgrounds and the Clubhouse, is for the sole use of residents and their guests. Day guests must be accompanied by the owner/resident when using community property. As a private community, Candlewood Knolls Community, Inc. reserves the right to ask anyone to leave community property that is not an owner/resident and who refuses to comply with the Guidelines.
- Motor Vehicles at the Beaches: Beach entrances are closed to motor vehicles overnight. During beach hours, please park so as not to obstruct the roadways and resident driveways.
- Swimming: Swimming is at your own risk. No lifeguards are on duty.
- Alcoholic Beverages: Consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on any Candlewood Knolls property, except where authorized by The Board of Directors. It is unlawful, according to the 6 Issued: 05/05/21 State of Connecticut, for anyone under the age of 21 to consume alcohol.
- Barbecuing: No barbecuing is permitted on beaches or community property.
- Bonfires: Open bonfires on the beach are prohibited.
- Community Garbage Receptacles: Community garbage receptacles are not for household/personal garbage. Residents must arrange for the removal of their own household/personal garbage.
- Garbage Containers: Garbage containers should be removed to their concealed sites immediately after collection. If you are unable to do so, ask a friend or neighbor to help.
- The primary carting company used by community members is Oak Ridge Waste. The approved hours of operation within Candlewood Knolls for Oak Ridge Waste are: 6:30 AM – 4:00 PM – Labor Day through June 30th 6:15 AM – 1:00 PM – July and August
- Vacant Lots: No refuse of any kind, including brush and/or lawn clippings, is to be placed in vacant lots. This practice is prohibited by town ordinance.
- Construction Debris: Owners are responsible for removal of all construction debris.
- Diapers: Soiled diapers are not to be placed in refuse containers at beach areas or at the club. Please take them home.
- Security Guards: Security guards are employed by Candlewood Knolls for our mutual protection. Please respect and respond to Security’s requests and directions.
- Guests: When expecting guests on the weekend, please notify the office in advance or the security guard in person at the guard station.
- Clubhouse: When renting the Clubhouse for a private party, the person responsible must comply with the Rental Agreement as established by the Board of Directors.
- Car Stickers: All residents and full season renters must display the Candlewood Knolls sticker on their car. Stickers are available at the Office.
- Guest Passes: All short-term renters (not full season) must have a guest pass displayed in their car. Guest passes are available at the Office.
Tennis Court Rules
- Tennis court is for tennis or pickle ball only.
- Sneakers must be worn on the court.
- Court hours are 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
- No food is allowed on the court.
- The tennis court must be kept clean of debris, e.g., tennis ball cans and lids.
- Availability is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Time allocated to the Children’s Program will be posted on the board.
- Go-carts: Go-carts are required to display a tall flag.
- Speed Limit/Traffic Signs/Night Driving: The Candlewood Knolls speed limit is 20 mph for all cars and motorized vehicles. All traffic signs must be observed. Any motorized vehicle, if driven at night, must have front lights, as well as rear lights and/or rear reflectors.
- Golf Cart Guidelines: In an effort to promote safety and security for our residents, the Board of Directors inaugurated the following guidelines:
- Golf carts must have headlights and reflective tape affixed to the rear of the cart if they are going to be used after dark. (Reflective tail tape provided.)
- Drivers must be 16 years of age to drive a Golf Cart or 15 years of age with a valid learner permit. You may also drive a Golf Cart if you are under the age of 16 if you are accompanied by an adult, 21years of age or older, sitting in the front seat.
- Golf Cart capacity is limited to the available seating on each respective Golf Cart.
- Driving rules for Golf Carts are consistent with the general rules of the road. This includes abiding by stop signs, yielding right of way, staying to the right side of the road, etc. It is the responsibility of the driver to know and follow the rules of the road.
- Golf Cart/Community Property: Please note that golf carts should not be driven on the beaches, ball field, and clubhouse lawn
- Noise Making Vehicles: The riding of noise making vehicles will be restricted to the hours of 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Pedestrians: Please yield to pedestrians at all times.
Written improvements or renovations plans should specifically cover the topics contained in the following guidelines:
- Color: Cottages should be white, off-white, blue, gray or pastel in color while cabins should be some shade of brown.
- Siding: Log or wood siding should be used in the cabin section. Clapboard-style siding in the cabin section is discouraged because it does not maintain the rustic, woodsy cabin look typical of the cabin section. Siding consistent with a country cottage look is appropriate in the cottage section.
- Stonework: Cinder blocks used as a building material should never be exposed to view. If such blocks are already in place, they should be painted the same color as the house. Fieldstone masonry should be utilized where stone work is necessary. Prefabricated, locking blocks used as steps or in a retaining wall are discouraged.
- Roof Shingles: Shingling should be in the ‘architectural’ pattern such as that shown in the roof of the clubhouse. A shade of green or brown should be used in the cabin section. A light or dark shade of gray should be used in the cabin section.
- Dormers and Second Floor Additions: The roof peak (the highest point of a roof) of a dormer or other second floor addition that affects only one side of a house, should not have a peak higher than the predominant peak line of the existing roof not being renovated.
- Garden Statues and Signs: Signs should be limited to the address, name of the owner/resident, or the name of the residence. A “For Sale” sign may be placed in a front-facing window but not in the yard. Garden statuary, lawn ornamentation and garden signs are discouraged. These items clutter the landscape because the lot sizes in Candlewood Knolls are small. These items conflict with the rustic, woodsy cabin or country cottage look the Knolls would like to maintain. If such signs and statues are currently on display, please consider removing them for the benefit and visual harmony of the community.
- Sheds: Legal sheds should be the same color as the residence and should be made of the same materials wherever possible. Illegal sheds must be removed.
- Fences: Full perimeter-enclosing fences are not allowed.
- Exterior Lighting: Exterior lighting should be kept at a minimum. Lighting must be directed at one’s own property and not light adjacent properties. Motion-sensitive lighting that turns on when any movement is detected is preferable to lighting that stays on all night.
Candlewood Knolls, Inc. is Private Property for the use of Candlewood Knolls residents and their guests only. Please take note and comply with the rules found on signs at the beaches and other common areas throughout Candlewood Knolls as well as in these guidelines.
Beaches & Dock Area
- No lifeguard on duty.
- Swimming and boating at your own risk.
- No water skiing from or onto docks. • No picnicking or consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No glass containers are permitted on the beach.
- No dogs allowed.
- Use litter receptacles.
- Park in designated areas.
- Beach gates are locked and beaches closed at 10:00 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11:00 PM Friday and Saturday.
- Kayaks, canoes and paddle boards that are not in an assigned rack space will be brought to the boat trailer site on Camp Arden Road.
- Trailers left in beach parking lots or other common areas will be towed to the boat trailer site on Camp Arden Road
Erected by Playground Committee 1989-1990
Playground equipment is to be used only between the hours of 9:00 AM and sunset. Children under the age of 5 must be accompanied by an adult.
- No picnicking or consumption of alcoholic beverages unless associated with a community sponsored event.
- No golf carts, bike riding or other vehicles are permitted on the field.
- No dogs.
- Use litter receptacles.
- Park in designated areas.
New Fairfield Town Law:
The Town of New Fairfield, Regulation Section 3.1.1 (G) defines Short Term Rentals as the leasing and/or use of a dwelling or residential site and/or structure or any portion thereof by a person or entity other than its fee title owner, for a term of six days or less.
Short Term Rentals are allowed provided that; the following requirements are met:
- Issuance of Zoning Permit pursuant section 8.5 based upon a site plan approved by the New Fairfield Zoning Commission in accordance of section 8.1.
- The property owner must be in residence on the property or an abutting property.
- Payment of a Zoning Permit which shall be $500.00 dollars every 24 month
- Property owner must have a certificate of Insurance for the Proposed Use.
- Occupancy limitation is 2 people per bedroom.
Candlewood Knolls Guidelines:
All Candlewood Knolls property owners who decide to rent their homes (both short and long term) are expected to fill out a CK Rental Information Form which asks the owner to do the following:
- Register renter’s: names, telephone numbers, email addresses and the time period they are renting for with Candlewood Knolls. Also provide the make of car, color and plate number for each car at the rental property. This will allow the office to generate a ̈Renters window placard ̈ for renters to display in their car window. Security can then grant them seamless access to our community.
- Provide renters with a copy of our Candlewood Knolls Community Guidelines. The Guidelines can be found on our website. Renters need to initial and return the first page indicating they read them.
- Provide a copy of your Dwelling Policy Declaration Page, evidencing coverage of the property for occupancy by a tenant. This is a certificate of Proof of Homeowner Insurance with a minimum combination of $300,000 personal and property liability coverage including specific language declaring the property for use by a tenant. If necessary, claims will be made against this policy in cases of damage to the grounds or individuals due to the actions of the tenant or their guests. (Typically, there is no fee for providing this certificate by the insurance company.)